Cases in which the guarantee is returned
The bank guarantee is returned only if at least one of the following applies:
Return of the remaining amount of a guarantee in case of deportation
In case a guarantee has been used for the deportation of a third country national, any remaining amount is returned to the person concerned directly, through a bank transfer.
Cases in which the guarantee is not returned
The bank guarantee is not returned in the following cases:
- the third country national will not arrive in the Republic,
- the third country national has left the Republic,
- for the specific third country national a new guarantee has been submitted (e.g. by a new employer legally employing the person; for whom the residence permit with the new employer been already issued).
Procedure for return of guarantee
Provided that at least one of the above reasons for which the guarantee is returned applies, the applicant must submit a written request to the Department.
For convenience purposes, the Department has prepared a special form, which can be completed for this purpose and which you can find at the end of this page.
It is noted at the time of submission the form must be completed and signed. Particular attention should be given to the correctly filling-in the file number or the ARC of the third country national and the number of the guarantee.
The request may be sent by post, fax, e-mail (given that it is duly completed and signed and then scanned) or may be placed in a special box that is located in the service areas of the Civil Registry and Migration Department (waiting time is not required for placing the request in the box).
Information for the return of a guarantee
When the Department examines the request and given that at least one of the reasons for return applies, then a letter is sent to the interested person informing about the return of the guarantee. The letter is also copied to the commercial bank or cooperative institution through which the guarantee was issued.
Time needed for the return of a guarantee
On average, the guarantee is returned three (3) months after the submission of the request to the Department, provided that at least one of the reasons mentioned above applies.
The Department encourages the interested parties to refrain from sending the request for return of guarantee repeatedly as this may cause more delay.
- if the third country national continues to reside in the areas under the effective control of the government or in the areas not under the effective control of the government, after the cancellation of his/her residence permit or the rejection of an application for a residence permit or the expiry of his/her residence permit,
- if the third country national applies for international protection (asylum),
- if the third country national is convicted for a criminal offense and has become a forbidden immigrant,
- if the third country national departs the place of residence and employment and is a wanted person.